Thursday, October 25, 2012

Book Review - Bringing Up Girls by Dr. James Dobson

I have long respected Dr. Dobson for his wisdom and knowledge concerning the well-being of families. I've admired his writings and ministry since before I was ever married or had my own children. He is a resource I always turn to when concerned with any aspect of marriage, parenting or family matters.

Many years ago, I purchased Bringing Up Boys. I had two of my own and one step-son at the time. I now have three of my own, and my step-son is grown and on his own. I loved the book and the insight into the world of boys.

When I was offered the opportunity to review Bringing Up Girls, I couldn't pass it up. Out of the five children I am raising, I've been blessed with one girl. In the sea of testosterone we live in, I wondered if I could successfully bring her up.

In Bringing Up Girls, Dr. Dobson addresses how to raise a lady, how to protect her from the men and the influences of this world, how to teach her to respect herself and what true beauty is. His advice is sound and biblical, and it is something I will apply every day as I teach Hannah how to become a woman of God.

I appreciate that Dr. Dobson includes multiple chapters that discuss the importance of a father in a girl's life. Mothers are important in teaching a girl how to become a woman, but daddies are important in teaching a girl how a man should treat her when she becomes that woman. Fathers don't need to be absent to be "absent." Girls are protected when their daddy pays attention and provides the nurture and affection she needs, so I am grateful that this aspect is included in Dr. Dobson's book.

Another aspect I love about Bringing Up Girls is the fact that Dr. Dobson uses interviews and articles and material from other resources. He doesn't just write the book himself; he includes the advice of others to reinforce what he advises. I love it when an author can recommend other resources, knowing that one person doesn't have all the answers. I appreciate this.

I highly recommend Bringing Up Girls for any parent who is leading a daughter into womanhood. It is a book that I will keep on my shelf until the day I can pass it on to one of my children as they raise their own daughters.


*Please note that I received a copy of Bringing Up Girls from the publisher for review. I am in no way required to provide a positive review. I trust Dr. Dobson and admire his counsel and have given him a favorable review as a result of his integrity and writing. Thank you for reading my review.

If you would like to purchase a copy of Bringing Up Girls, please visit one of the following retailers:
CBD
Parable
Amazon
Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!