Saturday, April 16, 2011

Proverbs 15 - Your Tongue is on Fire

"A wholesome tongue is a tree of life,
But perverseness in it breaks the spirit."
~ Proverbs 15:4

I know I've spoken a lot about the tongue this week, but it is such an important topic. And it applies in all areas of life - at home, with people close to us, at work, with people who hardly know us or complete strangers.

Our words, which fall off our tongues, can either build someone up or tear someone down. The tone we take implies our sincerity or our deceit. We must watch what we say and how we say it.

Husbands and wives have a tendency to hurt one another more than any other person in the world could. Our intimacy sometimes gives us unwarranted liberty to push each others' buttons in ways we'd never allow someone else to. Try to say something against my husband or child, and I'll render you speechless, for sure.

Yet we allow ourselves to do what we'd allow no one else to. Why is that?

Because we know each others' weaknesses better than anyone else...

Our tongues can be a tree of life to our spouses, children, and others. Or they can break their spirits.

Observe:

I recently found myself giving counsel to a dear friend of mine concerning the hurtful words of her husband. Reflecting on my own husband's occasional hurtful words, I realized something. My friend made the comment, "He says I put a wall up." I thought about that wall. It comes up anytime I'm falsely accused. I then had a revelation, which I shared with her. 

It's not a wall. It's my shield of faith. I've raised it in front of my heart to protect me from the fiery darts of the enemy. For I don't war against flesh and blood. My husband's just the messenger. It's his tongue the enemy has chosen to use to fire his darts from. He's believed some lie and forgotten how God sees me at the time. His words are critical, spiteful, or hurtful. Do I blame him? No. I raise my shield of faith and deflect the darts with God's Word and His love for me. 

Jesus heard the enemy through his disciples, those twelve men who were closest to Him. In Matthew 16:22, Peter took Jesus aside to tell Him He should not suffer and die on the cross for our sins. Jesus' response was, "Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men." 

I can imagine Peter's response by the look on my husband's face when I say, "Hon. I love you, but you're listening to the lies of the enemy right now, and I won't hear them. I'm putting up my shield of faith right now, because your words are hurtful and will harm my heart."

The next time someone tries to tell you something you know isn't true about yourself, hold up your shield of faith. They may see it as a wall, but you and God will know you're protecting yourself from the perverseness being spouted in your direction. 

Don't forget to rejoice when the tongue of your loved one begins to spout words of life!

Photo Copyright 2010 Alycia W. Morales 

2 comments:

  1. Really good! Thank you Alycia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never thought about it like that before. Thanks Alycia!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!