Saturday, April 16, 2011

Proverbs 16 - Committed

"Commit your works to the Lord, 
And your thoughts will be established."
~ Proverbs 16:3

This is one of my favorite verses. I have it stuck to the side of my computer. It tells me that as long as I commit all I do to the Lord, doing it in His name and for His glory, He will establish my thoughts. God will guide me in what to say and do.

It was January of 2010 when God called me to write "for Him." He gave specific instruction. For the first few months, I floundered, wondering what He wanted me to write. I went back to my journals and the few items I'd written in the past. I prayed, looked up information on Christian writing online, and signed up in March to attend the Blue Ridge Christian Writers Conference in May. I figured getting together with other writers would motivate me in the right direction.

I love Proverbs 16:9. "A man's heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps." It ties in with verse three very well. I planned to go to Blue Ridge. I planned to take certain classes. I planned to spend time writing. But God had different plans for me when I arrived at the Lifeway campus. 

Before I ever arrived, He started working and directing. 

I planned to save money by acquiring a roommate. God directed me into a new-best-friend relationship.

I planned to take certain classes. God directed me to ask a question and gave me a writing mentor as a result.

I planned to meet with the authors/editors who critiqued my works ahead of time. God directed me into divine appointments outside of those. 

I planned to leave with a wealth of conference information. God gave me so much more.

As a result of the conference, God has moved me far beyond my own plans or expectations. In the year since, I've enjoyed a friendship I'd been praying for the past three years. I've learned so much from my mentor as she encouraged me along my writing career path. I've had four devotions accepted for publication online and just found out one has been selected to be included in a devotional book. I pitched an article at the conference that's been accepted for publication next month. I've edited a book. I've started writing a few books. And I've signed up to attend Blue Ridge again. Because I know God's got so much more in store!

As I commit to do His will, He will guide my steps. He will give me ideas. He will tell me what to write. I trust God and know that He keeps His word. It never comes back void. 

Are you putting your trust in God and His promises? Will you commit to His will for your life today? Abundant life is in store, if you do!  

Photo Copyright 2009 Alycia W. Morales

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!