Monday, July 22, 2013

{Minute Meditation} Live Long and Prosper




Solomon was a young man when he became king. He wasn't sure what to do with his new-found position of authority. And then God showed up:

At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, “Ask! What shall I give you?”

Solomon could have asked God for anything. Long life. Riches. Fame. Stature.

What would you ask God for if He offered you anything according to His riches and glory?

Solomon made a choice that may look foolish to the world. He asked for wisdom. 
 

And Solomon said: “...Now, O Lord my God, You have made Your servant king instead of my father David, but I am a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in. And Your servant is in the midst of Your people whom You have chosen, a great people, too numerous to be numbered or counted. Therefore give to Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people, that I may discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?”

When we seek first the Kingdom of God, we open the door for God to pour His abundance of blessing out upon our lives. When we lay down our wills and desires for God's will, we allow Him to move in ways we could never imagine, dream, or ask.
The speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing. Then God said to him: “Because you have asked this thing, and have not asked long life for yourself, nor have asked riches for yourself, nor have asked the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern justice, behold, I have done according to your words; see, I have given you a wise and understanding heart, so that there has not been anyone like you before you, nor shall any like you arise after you. And I have also given you what you have not asked: both riches and honor, so that there shall not be anyone like you among the kings all your days. So if you walk in My ways, to keep My statutes and My commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days."

The only thing God desires is that we walk in His ways and keep His statutes and commandments. If we do these things, loving Him with all of our heart, mind, soul, and strength, God will provide long life and prosperity. These may not look like bars of gold and perfect health, but God promises us eternity in His house, a mansion in heaven, and no more tears, pain, death, sorrow, or crying. We, in Jesus Christ, will live long and prosper.

{All Scripture from 1 Kings 3:1-15}

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I often pray that my kids (and I) would develop a hunger for God's wisdom.

    Oh, and way to drag me in with the Star Trek photo. "Fascinating."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you like that? ;) I thought I might catch a Trekkie or two with my title/photo.

      I pray God blesses you and your children with His wisdom and long life in Him. Thanks for reading, Tom!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reminder to ask God for wisdom. It's easy to get carried away asking for things when what I really need is wisdom from the heart of God! God bless~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!