Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The In-Between

As a New Yorker, I spent most of my life zipping from one moment to the next. Always looking ahead, I didn't pay as much attention to the current moment as I could have.

Until we moved South, and I learned how to slow down.

That's when my camera became my constant companion and my husband began asking, "Why can't you just enjoy the moment? Must you always take a picture of it?"

Yes. Because I love catching God's glory - that one flash of a moment that will never occur again - on film. Or screen, now that we're digital and all that.

Having camera in hand gives me the excuse to slow down and look beyond my normal range of view. I see things I would miss if I didn't have a reason to take my time and enjoy the beauty around me.

I would miss things like this:


The rest of my family walked right past this fabulous creature as we hiked in the Blue Ridge Mountains. (PS - I know the photo bleeds into my side bar. I left it that way so you could read the quote without squinting. ;)

I like taking rest stops along the way. I don't want to zip up one side of the mountain and down the other without taking the time to enjoy the scenery, both macro and panoramic. I want those mundane moments in life, because that is where the connections are made as relationships deepen. {Tweet This}

If you want to find new meaning in the In-Between, I invite you to join me as I blog through Jeff Goins' newest book, The In-Between: Embracing the Tension Between Now and the Next Big Thing. It releases August 1.

In the meantime, please hop over to Jeff's blog, where ten of his friends (including myself) share our best in-between advice. {Hop Here}

Thanks for reading. Feel free to share your thoughts by leaving a comment. What mundane moment in your life turned out to be a blessing?

1 comment:

  1. For me, the big events are made up of many, many little moments, each with their own amount of specialness. If I look at the big event as just that, I get overwhelmed(sometimes)by the sheer vastness of it all. Different strokes, I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!