Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Revisting ~ Proverbs 17 ~ Shut Up!

Photo Courtesy of Vivek Chugh

"He who has knowledge spares his words,
And a man of understanding is of a calm spirit.
Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace;
When he shuts his lips, he is considered perspective."
~ Proverbs 17:27-28

"You need to share something." Vic prodded me with his elbow as we sat in Wednesday night class at church. 

I shrugged and shook my head. I didn't have anything to add to the conversation. Everything I might have said had been said already. I wasn't hearing anything in my spirit. I had nothing to say.

I understand my husband's point. The Word tells us to be ready in season and out of season. (2 Timothy 4:2)

But I've also learned that it is far better to keep my mouth shut than to speak when I have nothing important or edifying to say. I'd rather be considered wise than to open my mouth just to say something and end up sounding like a fool. 

Or worse, doing more harm than good. Proverbs 10:19 says, "In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, But he who restrains his lips is wise." It's better to keep my mouth shut and glean from others than to open it wide and say something ridiculous.
It applies at home, too. It's better for me to shut up and stop responding, defending, or getting offensive when my husband and I are in a heated disagreement than it is to continue speaking. After all, "A soft answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger." (Proverbs 15:1) Our discussions take a turn toward unity when I refuse to argue anymore. (Marital Tip: When one of you wins an argument, neither of you wins. Because someone loses. Marriage isn't 50/50. It's 100% of both of you.)

Over the years I have found that keeping my mouth shut allows me the opportunity to listen to and learn from others. Sometimes I gain more wisdom. Sometimes I recognize what I don't want to be like. 

How about you? Do you enjoy gleaning from others' wisdom by keeping your mouth from over-talking? Or do you like to add to the conversation at all times? It's a challenging quest, I know... 


1 comment:

  1. This is a lesson I think I'll still be trying to learn the day I die! But I have made progress, and I don't get myself into as much trouble as I used to. So I guess I'm headed in the right direction.

    But still...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!