Thursday, March 4, 2010

Week in Review

Sometimes I realize that I need to just sit back and breathe. I need to think, reflect, refocus, and prepare to go on. Thursdays are a great day to do that. Most of the week is behind me, and Friday is payday. It's the day before the weekend, which is reserved for family and fun. 

"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer. I have overcome the world." John 16:33 (NKJV)


When I posted this Scripture to my facebook profile a couple of days ago, I didn't realize just how much tribulation I would be facing this week. My sister-in-law had visited for the weekend, and outside of a few arguments between the kids, it was an enjoyable weekend. 


The excitement began Sunday evening, when my husband was out hunting with a friend. He is fine. My van is not. We have owned a 2002 Chrysler Town and Country since 2004. We bought it used, with 40,000 miles on it. We've driven it North to South and South to North across the country at least three times. We've towed U-Haul trailers with it, filled to the brim with our worldly possessions. That's a lot of weight. The van has served us very well. At 163,000 miles, she decided she'd had enough, and she let her transmission go. Goodbye van. Hello new loan payment. (We paid for the van outright. That was nice.)


But, that was not where our excitement would end. The kids were messing around the next day, running through my house after school. I guess they had to get a lot of energy out. One of them must have had a sharp object carefully concealed in their little hands, because I found my air mattress to be rather flat when I sat on it. I only wanted to put my shoes on, but I discovered rather quickly that I would not be able to sleep well that night. I pulled the sheet back and started hunting for the leak. Fortunately, my husband was able to patch the hole, and our bed won't cost another hundred dollars this week.


Our final excitement has been the scurry to withdraw our children from their current school. This is one of the most difficult decisions that a parent will have to make. To homeschool? Or not to homeschool? That is the question.


For several weeks now our children have gathered with us around the dinner table. The stories of their days at school have been fairly repetitive. 

The oldest starts with, "Today was the most horrible day of my life." His day consists of boys and girls telling him he's a booger head, he stinks (he does not), and he's fat (he is not). 

The middle child says, "I want to be homeschooled." To have this come from the child who has curiosity, intelligence, and creativity to boot is highly unusual. He has seen the torment that other students have poured out on his siblings. He has tired of defending his sister on a daily basis. 


The youngest, the only princess, has continually cried that other girls are mean to her. One boy has turned her into a seven year old punching bag. He pokes, swats, kicks, and shoves every chance he gets. To the teacher's favor, she did move him away from my daughter when requested. To the school's disfavor, they really should have a better eye and ear on their students. Just last night, she informed me that another little boy told her on the bus that his brother was coming after her.


We have been dealing with attitudes and issues that we've never dealt with in the previous years of our children and their education. Two are failing math. Two have gotten written up for fighting one another on the bus. Enough is enough, already.


Some people don't get why others decide to homeschool their kids. They look down noses with disgust. Maybe it's too old school for them. But for this family, old school is far better than daily torture and torment because other children around them have no role models. 


Of course, that is not our only reason for homeschooling. We value what God values, and those values are rarely taught in our schools today. Instead of Creation, they teach evolution. Instead of marriage, they teach alternative lifestyles. Instead of having prayer, they have a moment of silence. I respect other people's choices and religious beliefs, but if you don't want my God in public schools, then keep your own out, as well. In my school, God will be present. My children will learn to love one another because God says to. Credit will be given to Whom credit is due.

My children will still have a social life. Their social life will be improved, honestly. Right now their social life involves people constantly picking at them both physically and verbally. It is emotionally damaging. It is difficult for them to process at their age. It shouldn't be allowed. Their new social life will consist of having friends over who will respect them and be kind to them. They will socialize on the public playground, continuing to "make new friends," as they call it. They will hang out with friends at church and be taught by their Sunday School and Children's Ministry leaders. They will have fun, and they will enjoy themselves.

And I will rest assured that my kids are okay. My supervision is better than most anyone's will be, because I am Mom. They belong with me. They belong to me. They are mine. And I love them!


We are actually looking forward to homeschool. The kids are excited that they will be learning at home. We are going to plan a lot of field trips, social outings, looking for learning opportunities in everyday life, and more. Here's to a new week, and a new season in life...right in time for spring!


I am thankful that Jesus reminds us that we have peace when we have Him. In Him, we overcome the world. I like that. A lot.




 

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you Alicia. I would definitely have done the same thing. I say hats off to every homeschooling Mother, because I don't know how they do it. Maybe someday I will find out.

    God bless your family as you deal with these wounds that have been inflicted and build them up in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful and brave undertaking. I fear I'm not organized or daresay creative to homeschool but I am experiencing some of the issues you have mentioned here. I look forward to hearing more about your family's home schooling journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commend you for your decision and pray that the transition goes smoothly for you. Home schooling has SO many resources these days! If you don't already, check out The Pioneer Woman... she has lots of posts on home schooling and curriculum as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!