Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Book Review ~ Born of Persuasion by Jessica Dotta

http://www.amazon.com/Persuasion-Price-Privilege-Jessica-Dotta/dp/1414375557/
Jessica Dotta presents us with a gripping story of a desire to be loved in the midst of a tale of intrigue within the pages of Born of Persuasion. Here is the back cover copy to whet your appetite for a gothic story that will keep you up late at night:

The year is 1838, and seventeen-year-old Julia Elliston's position has never been more fragile. Orphaned and unmarried in a time when women are legal property of their fathers, husbands, and guardians, she finds herself at the mercy of an anonymous guardian who plans to establish her as a servant in far-off Scotland.
With two months to devise a better plan, Julia's first choice - to marry her childhood sweetheart - is denied. Then a titled dowager offers to introduce Julia into society, opening a realm of possibilities.
Treachery and deception are as much a part of Victorian society as titles and decorum, however, and Julia quickly discovers her present is deeply entangled with her mother's mysterious past. Before she knows what's happening, Julia finds herself a pawn in a deadly game between two of the country's most powerful men. With no laws to protect her, she must unravel the secrets on her own.
But sometimes truth is elusive and knowledge is deadly.

Mark of Distinction, the second book in Dotta's Price of Privilege Trilogy, cannot release soon enough. I read Born of Persuasion in three days, which is fast for me. An average book will take me anywhere from a week and a half to three months to finish, depending on my schedule. To finish a book within three days means I sat and read because I couldn't put it down. I truly didn't want Born of Persuasion to end.

Dotta's characters are gripping, and I found myself in a love/hate relationship with more than one of them. Mrs. Windham is the annoying and vocal woman you'd expect to find in any novel set in the Victorian era. Julia draws sympathy from the reader immediately as everyone around her feels they know what's best for her future. The villains are charmingly deceitful, leaving one wondering who is good and who is evil. It's been a long time since I've hated a villain this much. Of all the aspects of the story, these characters are what made it such an incredible read.

Jessica's novel reminds me a lot of Jane Austen's books, but Jessica certainly has her own voice that rings loud and clear throughout the novel. I truly look forward to reading more from her.

Find a copy here:
amazon
Barnes & Noble
CBD
Parable

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!