Thursday, October 31, 2013

A Book Review ~ Memory's Door by James L. Rubart


 Taking a line from James L. Rubart's latest novel, "That was a ride on the far side of extreme." Memory's Door had me pinned to my seat as I flew through the novel.


The sequel to Soul's Gate, Memory's Door is a journey into battling the spirit of religion that reigns in today's society. But that isn't where it ends. Underneath is the story of forgiveness. And this is the part that touched me the deepest.

I'm a self-proclaimed perfectionist. I like to do things right. I like it when others do things right. And I grit my teeth when I make mistakes or fail. When my sin nature rules, my flesh strong and spirit weak. Which brings me to my personal struggle with forgiving. Sure, I can easily forgive another. It's myself I have the hard time forgiving. Because I know I could have done it better. Because I know the hurt or inconvenience my mistakes have caused others. Because I want to be better than I am. I don't want to accept my human flaws. I want to be more like Jesus.

Page 300 of Memory's Door is my favorite.
"It didn't make sense. Why wasn't Jesus showing him? There was nothing to see. Nothing to see. Nothing." 
Marcus is realizing that God wipes away our sin. Forgiven. Nothing remains. Only Jesus. I cried as I read this on an airplane, stuck between two passengers. Nowhere to hide as I wiped my cheeks with the cuff of my sweatshirt sleeve. It takes a good writer to make me cry while I'm reading a book. I think this is only the second time it's happened to me.

Memory's Door isn't just a novel. It's a call to live free. Free from the condemnation of the enemy, who would have us bound tight and unable to fight for the kingdom of God if he could. It's a call to free ourselves from the mistakes of our past, to have no regrets, and to learn to forgive ourselves as Jesus Christ has forgiven us.

I highly recommend Jim's novels. Every one of them has something significant to say about our spiritual well-being, about the choices we make every day. Memory's Door is now my second favorite. Please read it. It won't disappoint you.

You can obtain a copy of Memory's Door {here}.

PS - That first book that made me cry was Gina Holmes' Crossing Oceans. And my still-all-time-favorite novel of Jim's is Rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!