Friday, August 16, 2013

Full Circle


There's nothing like going home.

We've come to a point in our journey where we're at a crossroads. Vic and I have had to take our family's well-being into consideration. We have two children in middle school this year, one who isn't far behind, and a fourth who will get there soon enough.

The trouble with moving around so much is that our children have been exposed to things in life we'd hoped they wouldn't have to face for at least a couple more years. The public schools aren't the same as they were when my husband and I were young. Our kids must deal with far more than we did at their ages. Which forces us to ask ourselves what's best for them.

After a month of deliberation and dealing with the impact their school experiences have had on them, we decided it's time for the kids and I to embark on a new journey - one that will take us "home."

We've done this separation of our family once before. For six months. It was the most difficult thing I've ever been through. I now understand why spouses die of broken hearts. I spent six months feeling that intense desire for my husband that wracked every fiber of my being. Talking on the phone helped momentarily but never cured me. What cured me was our reunion at the end of half a year that felt like eternity.

So it is with sweet sorrow that we part ways once more.

On the other hand, I cannot wait to step into our church and be reunited with family. I cannot wait to hear "Uncle" Randy say, "Welcome Home."

The place I ran from as a teen. The place I bloomed where I was planted. The place God is bringing me back to.

Which took a miracle.

See, there are these mountains in Virginia/North Carolina/Kentucky/Tennessee that have grabbed hold of my heart and won't let go. There are these mountains that take my breath away every time their foothills appear in my windshield. There are these mountains I dream of moving to one day and settling into. They will be my comfort zone. They will be the place I call home.


And I told God it would take a mighty move in my heart to ever get me to move back to New York.

Today I find myself packing boxes with anticipation. I consider this next season and find myself actually looking forward to going home.

Because home ...

Is where the trees turn brilliant colors of red, orange, yellow, and purple and the air is crisp {and autumn is right around the corner}.

Is where games of Scrabble over pumpkin spice coffee with my mom and sister await me.

Is where a dynamic ministry awaits and my kids and I can experience another wonderful season of growth.

Is where family gatherings for all kinds of occasions delight the heart and nourish the soul.

Is where I find myself anxious to arrive...

Because I can settle in for a few years and rest from our travels.

So I can begin a new journey as our children finish out their school careers.


Home, for now, is in another set of mountains. They're a little lower than the Blue Ridges. They're a little rounder than the Blue Ridges. They're a little faster paced than the Blue Ridges. But they have a beauty all their own. And I can't wait to see them in my windshield.

Thank you for taking the time to experience the in-between with me this week. I hope you've enjoyed the posts, and I hope you'll consider picking up a copy of Jeff's book. I'll leave my review of it tomorrow.
Monday's Post: Get Me Out of Here!
Wednesday's Post: On the Road Agai
Thursday's Post: What's Your Dream?


For more info about Jeff's book, please visit: http://goinswriter.com/ Jeff has some great giveaways for ordering The In-Between: Embracing the Tension Between Now and the Next Big Thing. You won't want to miss out! (He's also written several posts to give you a taste of the material in his book and what others are saying about it.)
On Saturday, enjoy my review of The In-Between.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!