Saturday, October 27, 2012

A Predator's Wisdom

Photo Courtesy of Microsoft.com
Have you ever observed a predator? How they stand absolutely still, hardly breathing, it seems? How they don't flinch? How they are alert and attentive?

Have you ever watched them as they stalk their prey? How they move low to the ground? How they remain as hidden as possible? How they move s-l-o-w-l-y?

A fellow photographer shared her photo this morning, and it held the caption, "Be still and know that I am God (Ps. 46:10, NLT)." It's one of my favorite scriptures, and I have read it a thousand times. This morning, I read it again. In an entirely different light.

How many times have I been chasing after a dream or a path of life or a calling God has placed in my heart, only to chase it away or, at least, scared it out of sight again?

When God places something deep within me, and I know He's going to bring it to pass, I need to put my trust in Him and be still. Yes, there are times when I need to put my feet to my faith and make a move, but if my move is too sudden or too soon, I'll be waiting another length of time before it will come to pass.

Here's what we can learn from predators as they stalk their prey:

  • Stand absolutely still. And listen. When God is speaking, placing that call within our hearts, we need to make sure we hear everything He is saying. I know that as a thinker, I hear an idea and immediately plan how I can make it happen. Rather than doing that, I need to listen for God's instruction, His plan to make it happen. Otherwise, I will miss something and be waiting--again.
  • Be alert and attentive. Know what's going on around you. There's reason for this: the enemy is also lurking. Satan is also on the prowl, seeking whom he may devour. He loves to thwart the plan of God. While you're alert and attentive, pray fervently.
  • When you recognize God's directive to move, move slowly. Too often we want to pounce on the dream without taking the time to get to it. It's like chasing a cloud. We pounce, and the cloud evaporates when we really need the rain. Take your time to get there. It'll happen when it's ready to. Prepare for it.
  • Don't delay. Pounce when it's time to pounce. God will make it evident when it's time. Once you've arrived to the moment, don't let it get away. Take action. The Bible tells us that if we won't or don't do it, God will use someone else. Heed the call. Trust Him to see you through it. Act now.
  • Enjoy the process and the food to follow. There's nothing like the taste of a roast that has simmered in the crock pot or the oven. Cooked to perfection. The meat, falling off the bone or pulling at the touch of a fork. When you've waited so long that the end result is perfection, satisfaction and joy immediately follow. God is so good. His timing is perfect. Take joy in knowing that He loves you so much He wanted to bring you to this point in your life. Enjoy the meal. Sup with Him.
What dream or goal or call in life are you anxious to see come to pass? How will you apply a predator's technique to attain that moment in life? I'd love to hear your thoughts! Please feel free to leave a comment.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Alycia! Like you, when God gives me a vision, I want to run with it to see how I can make it happen. Thanks for the reminder to wait, listen, and walk slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, friend, I love this image and the wisdom you've shared. I needed to hear those words.. wait... so often I want to pounce on that dream before God says Go. Thanks for the encouragement today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Vonda -- I want to forge ahead and "help" God with the process! I'm thankful He doesn't let me run too far ahead, and is always ready and waiting when I come slouching back :)
    Thanks for the reminder to wait, Alycia :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!