Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Reflections on God's Goodness

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
 All the days of my life;
 And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
 Forever."
 ~ Psalm 23:6

My pastor loves to preach on this scripture. Sometimes I would say it's his life verse. He lives by these words. He loves the truth they hold within them.

And some days, this is my life verse. God blesses me beyond my wildest imaginations. He gives me things my heart couldn't even dream up, and I am blown away by His goodness.

My husband loves Ephesians 3:20-21: "Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, To Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen."

God - Him who is able to do exceedingly and abundantly above all I could ever ask or think...

I attended the Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writers Conference two weeks ago. Feeling slightly unprepared (I rounded up and wrote a few potential articles and devotions with the hopes of selling them at the conference, but so last minute I wasn't counting on it.), I went only with the desire to serve and to attend a few classes I wanted to take. I would decide on appointments after I arrived and would say hello to all my writer friends who I love so much, like Jim Rubart...


For the first time in three years, I went with no agenda of my own...only God's. And boy, did I get blessed!


I won a contest, which allowed me to sit with the faculty member of my choice at the Awards Banquet. Considering I am friends with so many of the faculty members, that's an incredibly difficult choice to make. I wished I could have a long banquet table with all of them present. Alas, I had to select. I chose Chip MacGregor, agent extraordinaire. This conference is the first time I'd crossed paths with Mr. MacGregor, and I enjoyed the opportunity to get to know him a bit. Without pitching or feeling a need to pitch. Bummer that I forgot to bring my camera to the banquet. Chip has a great picture of us on his phone, but I haven't seen a copy of it, yet...so this will have to do:

Photo Courtesy of Mary Denman, Conference Photographer
Can you hear me praying? "Lord, I hope I don't get anything stuck in my teeth. I hope I make a good impression. I hope I don't say something totally stupid that will ruin my career. I hope Torry doesn't make me spit sweet tea out of my nose..." I certainly chose a great table, though. Not only did I get to sit with Chip, I also got to sit with Todd Starnes of Fox News, funny man Torry Martin (he's written for Focus on the Family's Adventures in Odyssey), another of my favorite novelists - DiAnn Mills, and the founder of the BRMCWC and novelist, Yvonne Lehman. We also had the pleasure of the company of Dan Case and Shannon Potelicki (Shannon is one of the agents who works with Chip). I had an all-star table meal. HUGE blessing for me.

I also won third place for my Flash Fiction piece, Remembering No More. This is the second time I've entered a BRMCWC contest, and I've won both times. That encourages me to keep writing...

Photo Copyright Mary Denman, Conference Photographer & Dear Friend
But here's where God truly blew me away and sent me into awe shock. I set up an appointment with Cindy Sproles, editor of ChristianDevotions.us. I mentioned to her that I am now editing books, as well as websites (I edit for DevoKids, another ministry under Christian Devotions). She said to be sure I mentioned that to Eddie, head of Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas. So I did. And he gave me the opportunity of a lifetime...

I am now the Senior Editor of Inspire a Fire. Inspire a Fire is a website full of articles for those who want to ignite a flame in their world. It only takes one person to make a huge difference. Will you be the one God chooses to use to advance His kingdom here on earth? How far are you willing to go for the One who chose you? This is the heart of our website. And it's AMAZING.

If you don't know Gina Holmes, she's the author of the award-winning novel, Crossing Oceans. She's also the founder of Novel Rocket, a major website for Christian writers. Not only that, but she is the founder of Inspire a Fire, along with her friend, Jessica Dotta. It is truly an honor to have been blessed with a warm welcome from Gina, and I am still in awe that God would hook me up with one of my favorite authors to take over something she'd planted and watered the seeds of.

I'm still adjusting to the knowledge that God has given me such a wonderful opportunity and responsibility. I am humbled at His confidence in me. I am in tremendous awe of His goodness, which is exceedingly and abundantly above all I could ever ask or think! So, while I stand looking toward the heavens with my mouth agape, let me introduce you to the faces behind this little story:

Eddie Jones, Cindy Sproles, and Me Shooting for the Stars
Me with Gina Holmes





















And there you have it. My testimony of God's awesome, amazing wonderfulness. Sometimes He's so good, it's hard to put my heart into words. So I remain still and silent before the Lord. Like now.

I hope you'll join me and the staff of amazing writers I have over at Inspire a Fire. Find us on Facebook and Twitter. Feel free to like us, subscribe to our posts, and follow us to your heart's delight. I pray you will find inspiration to ignite a fire for the Lord. He has a plan and a purpose and a call for each and every one of us that is as unique as we are! Be blessed as you spend time with the Creator of all today!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats Alycia! and PTL...God is so good! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Alycia -- You GO, girl! That's awesome and I'm so excited for all the great stuff God's doing with your writing and editing.

    Hugs from VA,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great fun to read this post - brought back fond memories of BRMCWC 2012, my first time to attend. I'll look forward to reading your posts on Inspire a Fire. Thanks!

    Julia Denton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats girl:) I love when God blesses us more than we can imagine. He is good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!