Friday, December 23, 2011

Putting Off the New Year

Photo Copyright 2010 Alycia W. Morales
The holiday season is upon us. We're busy buying presents, wrapping presents, mailing presents. We're swamped with writing Christmas cards, Christmas lists, and New Year's resolutions. We're baking, blogging, and breathless.

This morning, as I read Psalm 90, I began thinking about 2012 and what I hope it holds. Verses like, "The days of our lives are seventy years; And if by reason of strength they are eighty years, Yet their boast is only labor and sorrow; For it is soon cut off, and we fly away," caused me to pause and reflect on what I've done this past year. Did I only labor? Were my days filled with sorrow?

"So teach us to number our days, That we may gain a heart of wisdom." What can I do in 2012 that reflects numbering my days? Will I simply labor on, hoping I've made a difference in the kingdom of God here on earth? Or will I truly make that difference this year?

And then, the still small voice whispered to my heart. "Mary chose the better part."

See, I'm like Martha right now. I'm concerned with the many things of this holiday season. I am concerned with the many things 2012 will bring. I'm focused on doing, doing, doing.

Mary chose the better part.

In the busyness of the holiday season, we should number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. We should remember to stop and rest at Jesus' feet as we celebrate His glorious birth. We should choose the good part, which will never be taken away from us. The gifts will break or be thrown away or given away. The baked goods will be eaten. The Christmas cards will be tossed or stored. But Jesus will always be alive in our hearts. His word will never fail us. His bread will always sustain us. His water will always quench our thirst. Stop and sit at His feet. Read the word with your children. Remind yourself and others why we celebrate this season.

The new year and all it holds will wait. Put off your resolutions until January 1st. Pray for God to reveal His plan for you as you sit at Jesus' feet. Rest this season. And enjoy all God holds in store for you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!