Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Thankful Heart

One thing that really gets me frustrated is when someone who is obviously blessed does nothing but complain about what they don't have or don't like about what they do have.

I may not be "rich" with wealth. I have a college loan, a truck payment, and the same bills most others have. I don't have much in the way of savings. And I can't buy every latest gadget the minute it comes out. (Do I really need to?)



But what I do have is a wealth that money can't buy. I have a wealth of joy, love, health, and riches that only God can give a person.

Today I'd like to thank Him for some of those blessings:

1. My relationship with Him. He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, and I am His daughter. What more could a girl need than to be a Princess in the house of God?

2. My husband, Victor. He is my true love. He is my knight in shining armor. He is the man of my dreams. He's a man of integrity and a strong man of God. He works very hard to provide for his family. In a time when things are tough, he is out there making a living so we can have a roof over our heads and food on our table. He is diligent, hard-working, and excellent at what he does.  And best of all, he loves me!

3. My husband's job. I easily recognized when the economy began to tank. As a union carpenter, my husband was laid off more than he was working. But, true to his nature, he went looking for the jobs rather than waiting for them to come to him. And he landed them. And then he found a salaried position with a solid company. So we are very thankful for that job, despite how tough it can be sometimes.

4. My four, healthy children. I am blessed to have four kids who are in great health. They are active, creative, intuitive, and fun to be around (most of the time). I'm thankful that despite how difficult it can be traveling from place-to-place for Dad's job, they look forward to seeing new places and meeting new friends.  Life can be tough at times, but they are going to be so much richer as they become adults.

5. My step-son. Life wouldn't be the same if he weren't part of it. I'm so thankful to God that He gave me the opportunity to share in his life. He's all grown up now and working his own job. And I'm so very proud of him.

6. My family. Mom. Dad. Frieda. Lief (pronounced life). My in-laws. My nieces and nephews. Grandma. They're what adds the flavor to my world. There are a lot of different spices in this mix. Life will never be boring.

7. My church family - countrywide. When you move once every two years or so, you start to find yourself praying God will provide a new church home with each move. We have truly been blessed and are able to say we have family all over the east coast. Because when you leave behind mother, brother, and other kin to do what God has called you to do, He multiplies your family. We love knowing that we have family and friends we can trust in various parts of the country. It makes moving that much easier.

8. I'm also thankful for the simple things in life. Being able to worship God without fearing death. Being able to brush my teeth in the morning or take a hot shower or use a toilet. Having a car to get me from place-to-place. The pleasure of a cup of coffee with Pumpkin Spice creamer in the morning. The quietness of a book store and hours of browsing and dreaming of seeing my name on that shelf one day. Being able to curl up next to my husband at night and having his arms wrapped around me; it's one of the safest places in this world and one of my favorites. Hearing my children laugh. Listening to my son or daughter tell or read me a story they dreamed up.

9. And, I'm thankful that I have been blessed with people who are willing to read my blog posts week in and week out. I love sharing with you!

So, what are you thankful for this week? Are your riches here on earth, or are they heavenly things that can never be stolen from your heart? I'd love to hear what you are thankful for this year!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so thankful for the "little stuff" that turns life from monotony to miraculous... the sound of my children's laughter, kitchen floor dancing, the last of autumn's golden leaves still hanging on to the tree outside of my window... and the sweet way God has brought "writer friends" like you into my world! Blessings, Alycia. May your holiday season be fueled by gratitude!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!