Friday, October 14, 2011

I'm Done with the Grumpies

As my children were whining, I heard a brilliant idea from God.

New Morales Household Rule:
If you whine when you get in the car after school, you will be required to go to your room for half an hour to rest. You may sleep or read in your bed. Nothing else.

How often do we get overwhelmed and try to keep going, never taking the time to rest? We worry that if we stop, we might not get everything accomplished on our to-do list, or maybe we'll miss out on something.

My children do this, too. They might miss their video game time if they lie down for a nap. They might not get to have their friend over if they spend 30 minutes alone.

It's unhealthy to keep going and going and never take a break. I know that if I don't get enough rest, I get grumpy. When I get grumpy, my kids start to cry about how I'm always yelling. It's in these moments I know I need to stop what I'm doing and rest.

"...'This day is holy to the LORD your God; do not mourn nor weep.' For all the people wept, when they heard the words of the Law.
Then he said to them, 'Go your way, eat the fat, drink the sweet, and send portions to those for whom nothing is prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not sorrow, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.'
So the Levites quieted all the people, saying, 'Be still, for the day is holy; do not be grieved.'" ~ Nehemiah 9-11 (NKJV - emphasis mine)


The people had not heard the Word of the Lord read to them before. How often do we grieve and sorrow like them because we have strayed from God's Word? 

I know that when the grumpies are trying to grab hold of my life, I need to run to the Word of God for comfort, to find strength, and to renew my joy. I need to be still, stop running crazy, and take time to be alone with my Father. Only then will I be able to function properly in all my other relationships.

What do you do when you feel a case of the grumpies coming on?   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!