Monday, October 24, 2011

God is the Strength of my Heart

I have a small amount of business I must take care of before sharing today's post. I have taken a substitute teaching position this fall, which is slightly interfering with my blogging schedule. I will do my best to maintain a three-posts-per-week schedule, but I can't guarantee what time the posts will come those days. Any book reviews will post on Thursdays unless I am required to post them on a particular date. It is my priority to maintain my blog posts and to meet your expectations as my readers. I hope you will continue on with me!

Now, on to today's post:

 
My husband took a week of his vacation time to spend with our children this past week while I flew to New Mexico for a writers conference. Upon my return, I had precious little time with him. Approximately 40 hours or so. What I wasn't expecting was how emotional I would be, knowing I didn't have much time with him.

My dad sent me a message via facebook. He opened it with, "I hope you're surviving husband withdrawal." Husband withdrawal is one of the toughest things I've ever had to deal with. My longing to be with the one I love is intense at times, bringing me to my knees in tears, heaving sobs heavenward.

While on a recent trip to Myrtle Beach for a women's conference, I found myself dreaming about that longing on Friday night. Here's how my dream went:

Close-up shot: I stood, facing an attractive man who tried to gain my attentions, maybe even my affections. I could pay him no attention, though, because I kept looking over his shoulder, toward the horizon, watching for my husband, longing for his arrival. Somehow I knew he would be coming for me, but it wasn't time yet, apparently.

A slightly more distant shot: I am now standing with the same man in front of me, still vying for my affections. Only now, we're in a small crowd of people. Maybe in a restaurant or a small town square or someplace similar. There are several people. He is still trying to get me to pay attention to him, but my heart is still longing for my husband. It is an intense longing, and I am now searching for him amidst the crowd, looking to the horizon one more time. By now I feel almost in a panic, but I know he's coming for me. I just can't see him, yet.

I wake up. I'm near tears, and my heart is extremely heavy, weighted down with this deep longing. I decide I need some time alone with God to deal with my emotional state. As I begin to write out my dream in my journal, it dawns on me. This deep longing I have, this searching, this looking to the horizon. It's a physical description of a spiritual truth. We, as Christians, should have this longing and desire to see our Beloved Savior returning on the horizon. My heart should ache for Jesus' return as much, if not more, than it does for my earthly husband's.

And this morning, I found this scripture in my daily reading:

"Whom have I in heaven but You?
 And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.
 My flesh and my heart fail;
 But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
 ~ Psalm 73:25-26

My flesh and my heart fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. When I face trials and tribulations, challenges to my faith and my life here on earth, I only need to remember that God is my Strength and my Portion forever and ever. Be encouraged today. Look to God to be all you need to face today. Find your strength and your peace in Him. After all, there is none upon earth that we should desire beside Him first and foremost. Let His love overwhelm you today, replacing your worries and heartaches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!