Friday, September 23, 2011

Do You Skip Sections of God's Word?

"If you don't clean your room, you won't be allowed to have so-and-so over for the night." So often I am forced to take opportunities away from my children because they have neglected to walk in obedience and accomplish what it is I've asked them to do. My heart turns heavy with my need to keep good things from them.

"God's word says..." How many times have I given counsel straight from the Word of God to have it ignored, shunned, or set aside for someone's better idea? My heart also aches for those who've decided doing things their way is better than taking God's advice.

So often I watch women make decisions based on what they've done before, what they've had done to them before, or what they feel like doing, rather than what is the right thing to do. And it makes me wonder, do they expect things to get better? 

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Albert Einstein

I love it when someone comes to me for advice and says, "I'm trying. Really, I am." But if they were honest with themselves, they'd say, "Really, I've done the same thing I've always done. I never tried to do it differently. And now I'm stuck with the same old result, and I hate it."

As a teen/young woman, I could be extremely stubborn. If I admit it to myself, I probably still am. At least my husband says I can be. Not always. Just when the mood strikes. The downfall to being stubborn or strong-willed is that it can keep you in a place you don't want to be. Inflexible, stubborn women won't move from where they are. They will remain in the same spot as long as nothing stronger than them comes along and rips them from it. It would take a tornado to move some of us.

And that is where the issue lies. God has so much more in store for us, if only we'd trust Him with those things we hold so tightly to. My ideas are not always the best ideas. God, however, has fantastic ideas for my life. But if I don't let go of my own stubborn will, He can't do anything with me.

Which brings me back to parenting. I have four children whom I love very much. I would do just about anything for them, as long as it lined up with God's word. But I can't always do everything they want. Why? Because some of it isn't good for them. Some of it is too old for them. Some of it is good, but they aren't willing to do what needs to be done to get it. And they struggle to trust me in those decisions. The usual response is a temper tantrum. Or a shut down. Or anger.

How often do we do this to God? How many times have we wanted something from Him only to be told we need to wait? How many times have we needed something only to be told it wasn't time yet? How many times have we desired to do something for Him and heard, "Wait. I have a better idea of how you can help Me."?

So I ask you, do you skip over sections of God's word, because they "don't apply to your life?" Are you holding something against God because He said you shouldn't do something? Or you should do something?

When I read God's word, I read all of it. 

  • I don't skip over parts and say, "That doesn't apply to me." It may not pertain to my life today, but I'm sure it could tomorrow.

  • I don't skip over parts and say, "I'm not going to read that. I think I'll ignore God in that area." I know that if I'm saying that to myself, then I am in sin. God is trying to work something inside of my heart if I don't want to read something touchy.

  • I don't skip over parts and say, "Maybe I'll read that another time." You never know what God wants to speak to you today.
Be encouraged. Let God speak to your heart, right where you're at. Don't skip over His words, because all of them bring life. Even those that hurt. Remember, the wounds of a friend are faithful. (Proverbs 27:6) He wants to complete the work He's begun in you. (Philipppians 1:6) All He needs is for you to let Him. As your Father, He knows what is best for you, and He doesn't make mistakes.

Photo Courtesy of Agnieszka Bialobrzeska

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!