Monday, May 30, 2011

Greater Love

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends."
~ John 15:13

Memorial Day. It's a day in America when we take the time to remember those who've laid down their lives for us and our freedoms. We honor the men and women who have sacrificed more than we could ever know in order to protect our great nation and the things we've come to hold near and dear to our hearts. We remember those who've given the ultimate sacrifice, their own lives, so that we could remain free from bondage and tyranny.

Jesus says in John that this is the greatest love. Laying down one's own life for his friends. He paid the ultimate price and gave His life for us, so that we may have the opportunity to spend eternity with Him in heaven. He set aside His own desires ("O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will." - Matthew 26:39) to fulfill His Father's will for humanity. 

As we honor our veterans today, I like to remember Jesus' love for us, as well. And as I reflect on the greatest love He gives, I ask myself what I've done to express this love to another in my life. Have I laid down my life for my friends? Have I gone out of my way to do something to express my love to my husband? Have I forgone something I deem as important to accomplish in order to spend time with my children, proving they're more important to me than my worldly successes? Have I taken the time to say a prayer for or visit a sick friend? Have I stepped out of my comfort zone and volunteered at a local mission? 

I may not be fighting for my country today, but I do serve a mighty King. And there are battles waged around me every day. Am I busy fighting for what is right and just and honorable? Or am I too busy with day-to-day things? I have to decide to concern myself with heavenly things, which are far more important than earthly things.

Photo Courtesy of Robert Linder 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!