Saturday, April 2, 2011

Proverbs 2 - Understanding, Knowledge, & Wisdom


“For the Lord gives wisdom;
From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.”
~ Proverbs 2:6

Have you ever been in a place where you didn’t know exactly what to say or do? I think we can all testify to facing those times in our lives.

What is your typical response? Do you make emotional decisions? Do you go with your gut? Or do you take the matter to the Lord and await His response before finalizing your decision?

Several times in my early Christian walk, I went with my emotions. This never turned out well on my behalf. I made stupid decisions and got into a lot of trouble. Or, as I mentioned yesterday, I suffered from the decisions.

I discovered later on that if I took my issues to the Lord, He provided wisdom and understanding for my circumstances. As I prayed and read the Word, He provided the knowledge I needed to make a sound decision.

Keep in mind: Wisdom is the application of knowledge.  If God provides a word of knowledge, wisdom is taking that and applying it to our lives. Proverbs is full of this concept. If we take what we read in the Proverbs and apply it to everyday life, we gain wisdom.

For instance, Proverbs 18:1 says, “A man who isolates himself seeks his own desire; He rages against all wise judgment.”

I recently completed a temperament assessment with a friend of mine who is studying to be a counselor. Along the journey, I discovered that I have a temperament that doesn’t like to be alone. I need people. It would be detrimental to my emotional stability to isolate myself.

It shocked me a bit, because I like being alone every now and then. It gives me time to unwind, think clearly, and have some time to myself. After managing a house all day, serving my husband, my children, and my church, I need that time. It brings me peace of mind and settles my nerves. My temperament has a short fuse, as well, so I need to have time to unwind – or else I’ll blow up.

The wisdom here is not to spend too much time alone. If I isolate and cut myself off from people, I would spiral into depression and anxiety. So, as God’s Word says, I should not isolate myself. It rages against all wise judgment if I do.

More importantly, we can isolate ourselves from the Lord as we seek after our daily tasks and duties. 

How many times in a month do you get a load of dishes and laundry going, write your grocery list, and head out to shop before you realize you’ve forgotten to read the Bible that day? I do it more often than I’d like to admit.

We live busy lives, and we try to shortcut God like we do everything else. Some call it the “microwave religion.” We want it short and easy and now. 140 word updates. Credit cards. We no longer need to wait to have it all. And we forget about God and His word in the process. I know. I’ve done it myself. But I don’t condone it.

I believe this is what He means when He says we “seek our own desires.” What do I want to do today? What do I need to check off my to-do list? And then I forget to spend time in prayer and in the Word. And I forget to seek God’s will for my today.

God’s Word is full of understanding, knowledge, and wisdom. We need it on a daily, if not an every second basis. So I ask you this morning, have you spent time seeking God’s will for your today? I’m sure it will be a day full of knowledge, understanding, and wisdom if you have!

Photo Copyright 2010 Alycia W. Morales


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!