Friday, March 2, 2012

God Has Not Forgotten You

Photo Copyright 2011 Alycia W. Morales
"The Lord has been mindful of us;
 He will bless us;"
 ~ Psalm 115: 12

 "Focus on your children." The Lord directed me to make them a priority for the months my husband worked out-of-state. Knowing that my obedience would yield rewards, I said yes.


However, the more I focused on taking care of them, the less I took care of myself. I didn't read the Word as frequently as I began substituting at their school as a way to bring in a few extra dollars and stay close to the kids. I stopped praying at the church, because getting out at night after dealing with homework, dinner and showers wore me out. I attended church most Sundays, but an occasional headache or stomach bug kept me from making it every week. As a result, I felt even further from God.


I didn't lose hope. I didn't stop believing. I desperately wanted to spend more time with Jesus. But life got in the way for a season. When I deeply desired to see signs of God's closeness and feel His holy presence, I saw only signs of my flesh. Grumpiness, lack of patience and near depression engulfed me.

I prayed. Cried out. Told God how alone I felt. And waited for a response. I poured tears into my pillow as my heart longed for my husband's return and my Savior's comfort. And I waited some more.

God's Word says that He will never leave us nor forsake us. Even when He is silent, He's still there, working on our behalf. We only need to keep following after Him and not lose sight of Jesus.

The light appeared at the end of my tunnel two weeks ago. What felt like it would never end passed. The season of winter, of dryness, has turned to spring. I see God's blessings popping up all around, like the daffodils and jasmine are beginning to bloom.

Even when it seemed to me that God wasn't near and didn't hear, He remained mindful of me. 

Read Psalm 115 today and find encouragement. Don't turn to worldly objects and ideals to fill what seems to be a void in your life. This season will pass, and God's blessings will bloom again.

6 comments:

  1. Alycia, I'm grateful spring has arrived for you. I've read many of your posts. I haven't been a faithful commenter, but I read them. Thank you for mentioning Psalm 115 today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think we all experience those times of dry well, where we're thirsty and often without hope. That's when He carries us, just as He carried you and me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely, honest post full of truth. Thank you for sharing it. A friend and I were talking about these "dry" times recently. He referred to them as "dark nights of the soul". I loved that, because I thought about how the sun is still shining, even through the night, and come morning it breaks brightly through the dawn. Just like, as you said, God is always there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article touched my heart today. My husband was "temporarily" re-assigned to a location on the other side of the state several days after our only nephew died in January. Yesterday, I thought this assignment would soon be ending only to learn last night that my husband is going to be gone (during the week) for months. We've only lived here for a year and we don't know many people. Our children and family live hours away. Your article helped me to see what I must do to get through the long, lonely weeks when I'm alone. What a timely help you've been to me, Alycia. I can't help but think that the Lord used your article for my benefit. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your honesty and your faithfulness. It is so easy to lose sight of God's bigger picture, isn't it? I've often felt that God wasn't near, just to learn that He WAS there, the entire time. Raising the children while your husband is away can only be a challenge, but I'm trusting that the Lord will carry you through it. Thanks again! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ladies,

    Thank you so much for your comments!

    Sarah - I'm so glad morning always comes, too. And that His mercies are new to me every day.

    Cynthia - I'm so glad that God ministered to you through the post. I'll be praying for you! I know how lonely life can be when our hubbies are away. I pray he comes home sooner than planned.

    Helen - You're welcome. I pray that my transparency ministers to others. It's always nice to know we aren't alone in the things we deal with. And I'd rather be real than pretend I'm something I'm not. Because I always need Jesus; I'm human and will make mistakes or feel weak or trip over my own two feet some days. But I always look to Jesus in the midst of it all.

    I love you all! May God meet your every need, bring you comfort and peace in times of trial and tribulation and remind you you're never alone, but that He's right there all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!