Thursday, March 8, 2012

Breaking Bread - Proverbs 24:30-34

Photo Courtesy of Peter Mazurek

"I went by the field of the lazy man,
 And by the vineyard of the man devoid of understanding;
 And there it was, all overgrown with thorns;
 Its surface was covered with nettles;
 Its stone wall was broken down." (Prov. 24:30-31)

 The lazy man puts off until tomorrow what he can do today. The lazy man doesn't take care of what belongs to him. He lets it go, saying he'll get to it eventually. Or he'll do it tomorrow. Or he'll wait for someone else to do it for him.

This man doesn't get it. He doesn't see the results of what he's doing. He doesn't understand there will be consequences for his lack of actions.

Eventually, the fruit of his labors (or lack thereof) will present themselves. Thorns will crop up where once there was fruitfulness. Thorns prick. They sting. They bring pain. They hurt others. They choke out the good, ending any life within.


Photo Copyright 2011 Alycia W. Morales
" When I saw it, I considered it well;
 I looked on it and received instruction:" (Prov. 24:32)

 
We can learn from others' mistakes.











Begging"A little sleep, a little slumber;
 A little folding of the hands to rest;
 So shall your poverty come like a prowler,
 And your need like an armed man." 
(Prov. 24:33-34)
   

It won't be long before poverty and hunger overtake the man who decides to take a break and never go back. Once the fruit and the vine die, there is no more. It is only useful to be cast into the fire.

Thoughtful Spot: 

This is one of my favorite Proverbs. It brings such a descriptive image of what life would look like if one were to forgo spiritual disciplines for a time.

I can imagine the thorns choking out the Word.
I can imagine the nettles that sting as I walk through the world without Jesus in my heart.
I can imagine the walls broken down, allowing the enemy an advantage.
I can imagine the poverty of my spirit man, hungering and thirsting for the things of God, yet forgoing the Living Water Jesus provides.
I can imagine the thief coming in to kill, steal and destroy. All because I chose to fold my hands, take a rest, do something for me instead of for God.

And I pray I never get to a place in life where I give up on God and give in to the cares of this world.

What about you? What do you think about when you read this verse? Join me in my thoughtful spot, leave your comments below. I'd love to know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. Good reminder to hold to the task He has for us. It seems the older I get the harder it is to stay on task!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!