Friday, September 16, 2011

Book Review - The Queen by Steven James

Synopsis:

FBI Special Agent Patrick Bowers is sent to a small town in the middle of nowhere in northern Wisconsin. While investigating the murder of one man, he is called out to investigate the double homicide of a woman and her daughter - the husband is nowhere to be found - or at the bottom of an icy lake.

The Queen follows Pat as he begins to uncover a high-tech conspiracy, chases down suspects, and deals with his own personal life all at the same time.

My Review:

The Queen is part of a series, preceded by The Pawn, The Rook, The Knight, and The Bishop. I confess that I haven't read any of the previous Patrick Bowers thrillers. BUT, after reading The Queen, I will be going back and reading through the entire series. I love a good crime-related suspense, and Steven James delivers with The Queen. 

It took me a few chapters to enter into the thrill of the story. Although James opens well, I struggled to figure out who was who until around the sixth chapter. This is probably just me, and if I'd read the previous books, I might have known sooner. Once I figured it out, the story took off, and I couldn't put it down. He had me guessing who the mysterious Valkyrie was all the way to the very end.

I had the honor of meeting Steven James at the 2010 Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writers Conference. I admire his enthusiasm for the craft of writing, and it shines through in his novel. He masterfully switches from Special Agent Bower's first person view to the third person view of his criminals and his loved ones. It makes the character-filled story easier to navigate.

Available September 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

To purchase The Queen, please visit:

Please note: I was provided a free copy of The Queen from Revell for the purposes of this review. I was not required to provide a good review, and I believe by crafting a great story, Mr. James has earned the five stars I've awarded him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!