Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Proverbs 27 - Rebuke in the Name of Love

"Open rebuke is better
Than love carefully concealed."
~ Proverbs 27:5
As a parent, there are many times I have to rebuke my children. They need to know when they're doing something that isn't Christ-like. Otherwise, they'll continue in a destructive path and end up hurt because of my lack of discipline.
Sometimes my husband brings a word of rebuke to me. He's quick to let me know when I'm out of line in an area. Why? Because God commands him to love me as Christ loved the church. He laid His life down for His bride.  He didn't come to cover up our sin. He came to expose it.
What does that have to do with Proverbs 27:5? A lot.
Jesus didn't sugar coat things, trying to woo the disciples to follow after Him. No. He told them like it is. He didn't conceal His love for them by allowing them to think what they wanted and continue in their unbelief, doubt, or any other sinful part of their character. He brought correction when correction needed to be brought.
Open rebuke is better than love carefully concealed.
It never helps someone overcome their issues if leaders and family members try to avoid hurting their feelings by avoiding open rebuke. 
Jesus always brings correction in love. He is gentle, patient, and kind. When we follow His example, we have the ability to bring rebuke out of our love for one another. 
I remember multiple times when I've been openly rebuked by someone who loves me. It's had definite impacts on my life. I wouldn't be where I am today without those people and their loving correction. 
How about you? Can you remember a time when someone rebuked your sinful way and changed your life?

Photo Courtesy of Andre M.

2 comments:

  1. You know, the one time I received open rebuke, it was more of a verbal lashing based upon 'conceived' holiness standards and it was totally destructive. I have forgiven the person, but I think that what you said about correction in love is key...and it needs to be correction for a fault, not because we think a person should be acting or even dressing a certain way. It should be because they are not following God's word.

    I know this isn't the same...but it's the first thing that popped into my head. I appreciate your encouragement to do it rightly! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita,
    Too many times people think their good intentions are God's will. I can relate to your story, as well. I hope that others hear my concern that correction be brought in love, not in their good ideas or personal concerns.
    Thanks for bringing up that point. I agree wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!