Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Proverbs 20 - The Truth Hurts

"Blows that hurt cleanse away evil,
So do stripes the inner depths of the heart."
~ Proverbs 20:30
A month ago, my youngest tripped over a broken brick the kids had used as a base for baseball in our yard. If he'd been wearing shoes, it wouldn't have mattered. But because he ran barefooted, it left a gash in his flesh. 
He almost needed stitches, but my husband proficiently bandaged it using butterflies and large cover Band-aids. With enough anti-biotic cream and daily rinses of the wound, he healed without infection.
His wound, however, left a lovely scar on his foot. A daily reminder to wear his shoes when he plays outdoors.
So many times in life, I've ignored authority and tried doing things my own way. Each time, I've been left with an ugly wound; a daily reminder of my sinful and rebellious nature. 
As I've turned my life over to Jesus, depending on Him to meet my needs and direct my paths, these wounds have healed. They've scabbed over, so I no longer feel their pain. But the process is never simple or painless.
As the Proverb describes, blows that hurt cleanse away evil. Stripes cleanse the inner depths of the heart. To put it another way, "The truth hurts."
As a young Christian, I had several people around to tell me the Truth. God's Truth was a lot different than my personal truth. Hearing how wrong I was never felt good. Sometimes I didn't receive it well, either. It took ladies and a few good men bringing that Truth in love for me to accept that I needed to change a few things within my heart.
And in their obedience to speak that Truth through the prompting of the Holy Spirit, my heart became receptive and began to change. 
The process of pulling up bitter roots is never quick or easy. It takes hard work, persistence, and time. But in the end, after the hole is filled with the love of Jesus Christ, the pain recedes, new seeds are planted, and new life springs forth.
Will you allow God to pull up your roots today, replacing your personal truth with His Truth? Sorrow may last for the night as you deal with the pain. But joy comes in the morning as your heart heals under the anointing balm of Jesus!
Photo Copyright 2011 Alycia W. Morales 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!