Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Little Piece of Farmhouse Chic

A Farm Girl at Heart...feeding my calf in 1980.

Okay, so I have been inspired this week by the obvious... It is farmhouse chic week here at Peek-A-Boo...

After pondering on yesterday's post, I began reflecting on my love for all things farm-oriented. I think that my love affair with farmhouses began with my grandparents. My paternal grandparents owned a farmhouse on a lovely piece of property in the Finger Lakes region of New York. My maternal grandparents bought their farm when my mother was a young girl. 


Although I don't have photos of my paternal grandparents' home with me (I think my mother has them all...), I am certain that I have photos of my maternal grandparents' place. As I find them, I will post them here... 


In the meantime, I would love to share with you a piece of my life, as well as some of my farmhouse chic collection. This will only be a fragment of what I truly have, as we are moving around a bit at the moment. Most of my favorite pieces are tucked safely away in storage until we settle and put down roots again...

One of my all-time favorite pieces is an angel that Grandpa Vance created out of old barn boards, taken straight from his barn...

 
She is missing her star (it keeps falling from her head...gorilla glue is in order), but she still shines in my home. Grandpa surprised the women of his family with this lovely gift of craftsmanship a few years ago. Sadly, he went home to be with the Lord this past November. I miss him dearly, but his love of the farm lives on inside...

Another of my favorite pieces came from the same farmhouse...tucked quietly away in the attics for who knows how many years. It is a white, antique scroll-top desk. The scroll was sadly in disarray and crumbled upon its reemergence in the world, but the desk is still surviving. It has been naturally antiqued in texture, as the paint has chipped and worn in several places. I would love to share a photo, but that is one piece that is tucked away in storage again as we find our perfect farmhouse...
But, I do have another piece to share with you. This also came from my Grandparents' farmhouse. It is an antique telephone table. After spending several years in the corner of their living room, Grandma allowed it to come home with me. You'll notice that I have a fascination with dainty doilies, as well...



Another of my farm-inspired decorations is my love for tin and wooden signs...with inspiring sayings, of course! I beg you to forgive the wallpaper. It is not mine, nor is it farmhouse chic... If I were able to redo the kitchen in our rental home, there would be creamy white walls behind my barn red decorations...
 
 

 And there you have it...a little piece of my farmhouse chic collection.

If you have a craving to see some more, try these photos gathered from various online shops:






I'll be back tomorrow with some more...

3 comments:

  1. These are some great pieces! I particularly enjoyed reading about the ones from your grandparents. My most treasured furniture pieces are the ones that belonged to my grandparents. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!