Friday, January 31, 2014

Friday {in focus} ~ I'm Awesome and I Know It


Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth;
A stranger, and not your own lips.
{Proverbs 27:2}

One of the most difficult things we have to do as writers is create our bio.
 
Why is this so difficult?
 
Because we have to talk about ourselves. And we hate talking about ourselves.
We don't want to appear egocentric.
 
After all, the Scripture tells us that we should not boast about ourselves, right?

Let me relieve you from the guilt.
 
Think of it this way:
 
You're a professional, and you need a resume just like everyone else who is a professional.
What do you do in a resume? You talk about yourself and all that you have accomplished.
Because you want to be hired for the job.
So think of your bio in the same way. It's your resume. It tells people that you know what you are writing about. Or speaking about. Or teaching at a conference.

A second way to look at your bio is as if someone is meeting you for the first time. 
What do people talk about when they meet one another? Themselves. They ask each other questions and then talk about themselves in response to those questions. It's how they get to know each other. If we never talked about ourselves, no one would ever have a clue who we really are.

So go ahead. Write that bio or that blurb in your proposal. Talk about yourself. Show the reader who you really are and what you have to offer them.

And don't worry about what others are thinking of you. You're awesome, and you know it! (And so does God.)

*Special Note: Yes, I did draw my name while playing that game of Scrabble with my mom and my sister. Of course, my last initial is not D. It's M. So the D was just a 2-point bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!