Wednesday, November 20, 2013

When Your To-Do List Has You Down

You may have noticed that my posts have been fewer and farther between lately. It's not because I don't want to blog anymore, that I don't enjoy blogging anymore, or that I am avoiding blogging.

No. It's mostly because my to-do list has become a mile long, and I'm single-parenting my children while my hubby works out of town during the week. You can imagine how many activities that alone would add to someone's day.

As I looked at my planner last week, my black-and-blue-inked goals lay before me, spread across the page, begging me to check them off.

I wanted to cry as I took note of how many things I wasn't accomplishing in my days or my week. Or my month, for that matter. It's in that moment my Superwoman insides twisted and grace kicked in.

Give yourself a break, Grace whispered.

The idea slipped in, almost unnoticed.

Write down in red what you have accomplished in this day.

And when I looked at my week a few days later, I'd actually completed quite a bit. I'd submitted a children's story to a favorite magazine family (one of only a few submissions I've made this year). I'd finished rewrites on my novel and gotten them to my editor. I'd written toward my NaNoWriMo word count, even if it wasn't the amount I wanted to. I'd done several things in my home and with or for my kids. I'd entertained guests and encouraged a local writer. I'd done what I could...

And the rest of my to-do list is still waiting there, happy to remind me of what still needs to get done.

And being in Bethany at the house of Simon the leper, as He sat at the table, a woman came having an alabaster flask of very costly oil of spikenard. Then she broke the flask and poured it on His head. But there were some who were indignant among themselves, and said, “Why was this fragrant oil wasted? For it might have been sold for more than three hundred denarii and given to the poor.” And they criticized her sharply.
But Jesus said, “Let her alone. Why do you trouble her? She has done a good work for Me. For you have the poor with you always, and whenever you wish you may do them good; but Me you do not have always. She has done what she could. She has come beforehand to anoint My body for burial. Assuredly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her.”
- Mark 14:3-9

How many times does the enemy of your soul ask why you've wasted your time and criticize what you have or haven't done in your day? Don't forget the words of Jesus. "Let her alone. Why do you trouble her? She has done a good work for Me."

Sometimes we need to let one thing go so we can take care of another priority. Some days work may need to be set aside for the more important task of caring for a sick child, encouraging a friend and holding her hand in prayer, or resting yourself so that you can make it through the week. Allow grace to see you through. Your to-do list will still be waiting while your treasury in heaven grows richer. 

What do you love/hate about your to-do list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here at My Thoughtful Spot! I love hearing them!